MRS is a growing, vibrant, member-driven organization focused on broadening the impact of materials science and improving the quality of life. Our members are research professionals from industry, academia and government from around the world, and they choose MRS because it is important to their work and careers.
Dedicated to excellence and welcoming of diversity, MRS activities and programs are open to all individuals regardless of race, color, creed, religion, gender, disability, veteran status, sexual preference or national origin.
Download our complete MRS Member Benefits and Society Activities guide.
Join or renew your membership in MRS today and enjoy these valuable benefits:
- NEW—FREE access to MRS Advances, a peer-reviewed, online-only interdisciplinary journal devoted to emerging research from MRS Meetings
- FREE subscription to MRS Bulletin in a variety of formats—print, via Cambridge Journals Online (CJO), dynamic magazine edition and mobile apps (Special note: Student membership includes all access formats except print)
- FREE electronic subscription to Journal of Materials Research (JMR)—access to full-text articles from the Journal's inception in January 1986 to the current issue
- FREE subscription to MRS Energy & Sustainability—A Review Journal, an online journal focused on key topics in materials research and development as they relate to energy and sustainability
- FREE subscription to the online “letters and prospectives” journal, MRS Communications
- FREE access to over 100,000 full-text papers in the MRS Online Proceedings Library Archive
- Substantial savings on MRS books and proceedings volumes
- FREE listing in, and access to, the online MRS Member Directory
- First-to-know status for MRS meeting programs and calls for papers
- Discounted registration rates for MRS meetings and workshops
- Expanded career placement and professional development opportunities via MRS Career Central
- Student involvement in international MRS University Chapter activities
- Regional forums for interaction through MRS Sections
- MRS Awards Program, acknowledging outstanding professional contributions made by you and your colleagues
- Publishing venues including MRS Bulletin, JMR, MRS Advances, MRS Communications and MRS Energy & Sustainability—A Review Journal
- MRS committee volunteer opportunities
- Public outreach and education opportunities, including Strange Matter, Women in Materials Science & Engineering and more.
In addition, MRS is expanding its professional development portfolio to better meet your career needs and to better serve the materials research community. These efforts include:
- Advocating for increased and sustained funding for the physical sciences
- Fostering outreach and science education for policy leader and the general public
- Promoting diversity and including in the scientific workforce
- Introducing prestigious new awards
- Collaborating with international partners on bilateral projects.