- MRS will provide $5,000 as a seed grant to the organizers of the selected student proposed event.
- This money may be used to support speakers’ travel costs, onsite AV needs (projector, screen, pointer and lapel microphone), virtual streaming costs, etc.
- The seed money may not be used by the organizers to support their own travel.
- It is not necessary to raise additional funds, but it can be useful in attracting invited speakers and/or providing additional value to the event, such as creating a virtual component.
- One or all members of the organizing committee may be involved in raising funds for your symposium, but one person must be designated as the financial chair.
- MRS will handle the administrative details such as invoicing sponsors, processing symposium-paid registrations and travel support.
- As a guide only, specific information concerning preparing funding proposals can be found in the Fall Symposium Organizer's Handbook, including sample letters and a list of the corporate affiliate benefits and opportunities. These documents would need to be adapted for your purposes but will give you an idea of how the process works.
Before the Meeting
- A budget must be submitted with the proposal.
- Any funds raised for support of the event must be deposited at MRS HQ in an account specifically set aside for your event. Disbursements will be made upon written request from the event's financial chair.
- Contact government agencies to discuss potential support of your event, generally at least 6 month prior to the meeting. Contact Donna Gillespie for details and sample proposals for government agencies. All funding proposals for government agencies must be submitted to Donna Gillespie at MRS HQ for processing. When requesting this type of support, please also copy firstname.lastname@example.org on your email to Donna Gillespie.
After the Meeting
For government grants, a final technical report must be prepared by the financial chair within 60 days and submitted to Lorri Smiley at email@example.com and Donna Gillespie firstname.lastname@example.org, who will forward the report to the sponsoring agency.