Rules and Eligibility
Eligibility for the MRS Impact Award is open to scientists and engineers in all areas of materials science worldwide. Nominees need not be members of the Materials Research Society. Current members of the MRS Impact Award Subcommittee, MRS Board members, the Awards Chair, and previous recipients of this award are not eligible. The selection of the MRS Impact Award recipient must be approved by the MRS Board, based upon a recommendation from the Awards Committee. The decision of the Board is final. Nominations must be submitted through the MRS Awards Submission online portal.
The award is managed by the MRS Impact Award Subcommittee of the MRS Awards Committee. The subcommittee is responsible for soliciting and evaluating nominations annually and recommending a nominee to the MRS Board for final approval.
Accomplishment(s) must fit within the scope of the award. Examples of important contributions include:
- Promoting diversity and inclusivity
- Promoting of science literacy
- Improving the public understanding of the importance and value of materials science
- Fostering an understanding of science with policy makers
- Broadening the engagement of researchers in developing countries
- Promoting interdisciplinary collaborations worldwide
- Enhancing formal and/or informal materials science education, including K-12, community college, undergraduate and graduate levels
- Engaging and mentoring the next generation of materials professionals
- Promoting life-long learning
Nominator must provide metrics (quantitative and qualitative) for impact to the materials community, or the broader STEM community or society. (Such metrics may be length of program and societal impact.) Examples include:
- Introduction of structural and lasting changes that advance the MRS Mission
- Continuity, sustainability and/or growth of program(s)/effort(s) over time
- Scale of the challenge met
- Magnitude of the impact, locally and/or globally
- Number and diversity of people engaged
- Innovative-nature of contribution(s)
- Quantity and quality of outcomes (e.g., products, programs, generated media, etc.)
- Interdisciplinary nature of work
- Socially relevant outcomes
- Support received (funding, volunteers, endorsements, etc.)
- Publicity received (press coverage, social media trends, etc.)
- Catalyzing sustainable partnerships/collaborations
Nomination Submission Information
The nomination will be submitted through the MRS Awards Nomination Submission Website portal. The nominator will use their MRS Customer ID and Login information to access the system. The nomination information required will include the following information and required documents in PDF file format:
- Nominee and Nominator Information
Nominator will enter the following into the online form:
Full name, organization, mailing address, email address, telephone number
- Proposed citation (<60 words). Summarize the achievements upon which the nomination is based, avoiding flowery descriptors.
- Nominator Statement (upload PDF file, two pages maximum, on letterhead with signature)
A statement by the nominator (2-pages maximum) supporting the candidate’s suitability for the award with respect to:
• The specific, clearly defined, contributions which are proposed for recognition
• the impact of the achievements within the materials community or in society in general
- Curriculum Vitae of the Nominee(s) (3-pages maximum per nominee)
- Two letters of support from two well-established scientists or individuals of prominence in education, industry, outreach, or government who are familiar with the nominee’s contributions. Each letter must be two-pages or less and should make specific references to the criteria listed in item 3 above. Letters should be uploaded to the submission system, or, if absolutely necessary, letters may be sent directly to email@example.com. If a letter must be sent separately, you must upload a PDF document file which will include the name letter of support writer, along with email address. This document, as a placeholder, will allow you to make the submission. A letter should be on official letterhead and include the signature of the writer. Each letter should not exceed two pages each.
Submission Procedure and Deadline
The portal for submitting an MRS Award nomination will open and close on the published date* of each award. The nominator will use their MRS website credentials to access the system. Previously submitted nominations may also be updated in the system by using the nominator’s login information. Nominations are active for three years. Please contact Lorri Smiley via firstname.lastname@example.org should you have technical difficulties or other submission concerns.
*NOTE: If an Award nomination deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, the submission deadline will then default to the following business day at 11:59 p.m.