Available on-demand - *F.NM01.05.07
Optical Meta Devices—Eyes to the Future
Din-Ping Tsai1,Mu-Ku Chen1,Yongfeng Wu1
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University1
The novel property of optical metasurface which consist of nano-antenna made by artificial nanostructures, has attracted a lot of attention lately. Nano-antenna at the interface can behave like secondary radiation sources after interactions of the incident electromagnetic wave. Various optical devices based on the specific designs of meta-surfaces are called optical meta-devices. The great advantages of meta-devices are their new properties, lighter weight, small size, high efficiency, better performance, broadband operation, lower energy consumption, and CMOS compatibility for mass production. Given the demands of photonics, many optical meta-devices for the applications of controlling of the incident light are developed, such as for beam deflection and reflection, polarization control and analysis, meta-holography, second-harmonic generation, meta-laser, tunability, imaging, absorption, color display, focusing of light, multiplexer of colour routing and light-field sensing, etc. Considering the flexibility, the metasurface with integrated functionalities may be promising for multi-focusing microscopy, high-dimension quantum technology, hyperspectral microscopy, micro robotic vision, automobile sensing, virtual and augmented reality (VR and AR), drones, and miniature personal security systems [1-7].
1. S. M. Wang, P. C. Wu, V.-C. Su, Y.-C. Lai, C. H. Chu, J.-W. Chen, S.-H. Lu, J. Chen, B. B. Xu, C.-H. Kuan, T. Li, S. N. Zhu and D. P. Tsai, Nature Comm. 8, 187 (2017).
2. B. H. Chen, P. C. Wu, V.-C. Su, Y.-C. Lai, C. H. Chu, I. C. Lee, J.-W. Chen, Y. H. Chen,Y.-C. Lan, C.-H. Kuan and D. P. Tsai, Nano Lett. 17, 6345 (2017).
3. S. M. Wang, P. C. Wu, V.-C. Su, Y.-C. Lai, M.-K. Chen, H. Y. Kuo, B. H. Chen, Y. H. Chen, T.-T. Huang, J.-H. Wang, R.-M. Lin, C.-H. Kuan, T. Li, Z. Wang, S. Zhu and D. P. Tsai, Nature Nanotechnology 13, 227 (2018).
4. V.-C. Su, C. H. Chu, G. Sun and D. P. Tsai, Optics Express 26, 13148 (2018).
5. M. L. Tseng, H.H. Hsiao, C. H. Chu, M. K. Chen, G. Sun, A.Q. Liu and D. P. Tsai, Adv. Optical Mater. 6, 1800554 (2018).
6. R. J. Lin, V. -C. Su, S. M. Wang, M. K. Chen, T. L. Chung, Y. H. Chen, H. Y. Kuo, J. W. Chen, J. Chen, Y. T. Huang, J.H. Wang, C. H. Chu, P. C. Wu, T. Li, Z. Wang S. Zhu and D. P. Tsai, Nature Nanotechnology, 14, 227 (2019).
7. W. Yang, S. Xiao, Q. Song, Y. Liu, Y. Wu, S. Wang, J. Yu, J. Han, and D. P. Tsai, “All-dielectric metasurface for high-performance structural color,” Nature Communications 11, 1864 (2020).