Moderated Panel Discussions
These panel events, co-organized by the MRS Energy & Sustainability journal and the MRS Focus on Sustainability Subcommittee, convened top experts to discuss scientific, technological and sociological complexities relating to energy, the environment and sustainability.
Materials Needs for Energy Sustainability by 2050—The Role of the Circular Materials Economy
Tuesday, November 28, 2017 | Boston, Massachusetts
- How can we meet the growing demand for materials in a sustainable way, with fewer raw materials, less energy and reduced environmental impact, all while maintaining economic growth?
- Can a circular economy be implemented in a practical, cost-effective, and environmentally friendly way?
- What opportunities does a shift to circular materials loops bring to materials research?
View/download the accompanying PowerPoint slides.
Materials Needs for Energy Sustainability by 2050
Wednesday, April 19, 2017 | Phoenix, Arizona
- Methods to achieve an energy-efficient, low-emissions future, focused on the goals identified in the COP 21 Paris Agreement
- Fundamental materials R&D necessary to achieve such goals
- Geopolitical and international supply-chain implications of the necessary R&D pathway