Learning from nature and based on lotus leaves and fish scale, we developed super-wettability system to meet the increasing needs of the advanced community and also to better understand how to imitate biology.[1-3] Further, we fabricated artificial materials with smart switchable super-wettability, i.e., nature-inspired binary cooperative complementary nanomaterials (BCCNMs) that consisting of two components with entirely opposite physiochemical properties at the nanoscale, are presented as a novel concept for the building of promising materials.
The concept of BCCNMs was further extended in to one dimensional system. As one of biomimetic nanodevices, nanochannels or nanopores aroused particular interest because of their potential applications in nanofluidic devices, biosensing, filtration, and energy conversions.[6-7] Here, inspiration from biological ion channels and ion pump in nature, we developed a series of biomimetic smart nanochanel and ion pump systems by modifying smart molecules or polymers onto the inner surfaces of artificial nanochannels which were prepared by top-down or bottom-up synthetic strategy. Moreover, we applied those smart nanochannels in energy conversion systems such as photoelectric conversion systems, concentration cell, etc. [9-11] Such applications with biomimetic nanochannels can not only help people to know and understand the living processes in nature, but also inspire scientists to study and develop novel nanodevices with better performance for the mankind.
1. L. P. Wen, Y. Tian, L. Jiang, 2015, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 54, 3387-3399.
2. X. J. Feng, L. Jiang, 2006, Adv. Mater. 18, 3063-3078.
3. Y. Tian, B. Su, L. Jiang, 2014, Adv. Mater. 26, 6872-6897.
4. F. Xia, L. Jiang, 2008, Adv. Mater. 20, 2843-2858.
5. B. Su, W. Guo, L. Jiang, 2015, Small, 11, 1072-1096
6. X. Hou, W. Guo, L. Jiang, 2011, Chem. Soc. Rev., 40, 2385-2401.
7. L. P. Wen, X. Hou, Y Tian, F.-Q. Nie, Y. Song, J. Zhai, L. Jiang, 2010, Adv. Mater. 22, 1021-1024.
8. H. Zhang, X. Hou, L. Zeng, F. Yang, L. Li, D. Yan, Y. Tian, L. Jiang, 2013, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 135, 16102-16110.
9. L. P. Wen, X. Hou, Y. Tian, J. Zhai, L. Jiang, 2010,Adv. Funct. Mater. 20, 2636-2642.
10. W. Guo, C. Cheng, Y. Wu, Y. Jiang, J. Gao, D. Li, L. Jiang, 2013, Adv. Mater. 25, 6064-6068.
11. J. Gao, W. Guo, D. Feng, H. Wang, D. Zhao, L. Jiang, 2014,J. Am. Chem. Soc., 136, 12265-12272.