Rules and Eligibility
Nomination for the Materials Theory Award is open to scientists and engineers who have made exceptional advances in some aspect of materials theory including computational materials science and simulations. Consideration is not limited by the approach used in the theory, or by the class of materials to which it is applied. Researchers who perform measurements to test the validity of their theory or guide them in its development are eligible, but consideration for the award is based on the theory and its importance. Nominees need not be members of the Materials Research Society. It is expected that the nomination is for a single person. Current members of the MRS Materials Theory Award Subcommittee, MRS Board members and previous MRS Materials Theory Award recipients are not eligible. The selection of the Materials Theory Award winners must be approved by the MRS Board based upon the recommendation from the Awards Committee; the decision of the Board is final. Awards will not be awarded in absentia except in extraordinary circumstances. Nominations remain active for three years.
The award is managed by the Materials Theory Award Subcommittee of the MRS Awards Committee. The subcommittee is responsible for soliciting and evaluating nominations annually and recommending a nominee to the MRS Board for final approval.
Nomination Submission Information
The nomination will be submitted through the MRS Awards Nomination Submission Website portal. The nominator will use their MRS Customer ID and Login information to access the system. The nomination information required will include the following information and required documents in PDF file format:
- Nominee and Nominator Information
Nominator will enter the following into the online form:
Full name, organization, mailing address, email address, telephone number
- Proposed Citation
The proposed citation must be less than 30 words and entered into the online form. Summarize the advances in materials theory upon which the nomination is based, avoiding flowery descriptors.
- Nominator statement (upload PDF file, two pages maximum, on letterhead with signature)
- The specific, clearly defined, recent advance in materials theory or its application which is proposed for recognition
- The impact of the advance in the relevant materials field(s), and its broader contribution to materials science, the originality and “break-through” quality of the theory advance.
- Supporting documentation: Brief CV, including lists of professional appointments held, honors, awards, patents. Also include a list of most important publications, including those related to the proposed award.
- Two letters of support from established scientists familiar with the nominee's qualifications and area of research. Please include explicit references to the criteria listed above in 3. Letters should be uploaded to the submission system, or, if absolutely necessary, letters may be sent directly here. If a letter must be sent separately, you must upload a PDF document file which will include the name letter of support writer, along with email address. This document, as a placeholder, will allow you to make the submission. A letter should be on official letterhead and include the signature of the writer. Each letter should not exceed two pages each.
Submission Procedure and Deadline
The portal for submitting an MRS Award nomination will open and close on the published date1of each award. The nominator will use their MRS website credentials to access the system. Previously submitted nominations may also be updated in the system by using the nominator’s login information. Nominations are active for three years.
Please contact Lorri Smiley should you have technical difficulties or other submission concerns.
NOTE:1 If an Award nomination deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, the submission deadline will then default to the following business day at 11:59 p.m.