2019 MRS Spring Meeting & Exhibit

Symposium ES14-Materials Circular Economy for Urban Sustainability

With the grand challenges of growing population, urbanization, and climate change; management of our resources, including wastes, has emerged as one of the most critical issues. As a specific instance, the ‘solving the e-waste problem’ United Nations StEP initiative identified that approximately 41.8 million metric tons of electronic waste (e-waste) were generated globally in 2014, of which a mere 16% were recycled, while the remaining 84% was landfilled or incinerated. Hence the necessity to move toward a more functional Circular Economy which requires to turn goods that are at the end of their service life into resources, thus closing loops in industrial ecosystems, minimizing wastes and ultimately changing the economic logic by replacing production with efficiency.

There are still many technical challenges in the current waste recycling stream including processes’ high cost, high energy consumption, and low efficiency etc. This symposium will assess the current materials circularity, followed by presentation of potential pathways to an improved materials recycling process. It will focus on advanced waste treatment processes for municipal wastes, E-wastes including battery recycling, toxic waste, and building demolition rumbles and incineration ashes, including sorting, hydro-metallurgy process (solid/liquid and liquid/liquid) as well as other ones enabling to turn old waste landfills into urban mines.

Topics will include:

  • Advanced ash treatment process
  • E-waste recycling including battery recycling
  • Toxic waste treatment
  • Hydro-metallurgy process
  • Advanced sorting process
  • Building demolition waste treatment

Invited Speakers:

  • Peter C. Burns (University of Notre Dame, USA)
  • Thibault Cantat (Université Paris-Saclay, France)
  • Toshihiko Matsuto (Hokkaido University, Japan)
  • Farouk Tedjar (University of Grenoble, France)
  • Zhenming Xu (Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China)

Symposium Organizers

Qingyu Yan
Nanyang Technological Uinversity
Materials Science and Engineering

Jean-Christophe Gabriel
Atomic Energy and Alternative Energies Commission

Sahajwalla Veena
University of New South Wales
School of Materials Science and Engineering

Yan Wang
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Mechnical Engineering

Publishing Alliance

MRS publishes with Springer Nature