8:30 AM - *NM04.06.01
Emerging Applications of Boron Nitride Nanotubes for Advanced Electronics and Biomedicine
Yoke Khin Yap1
Michigan Technological University1
The electrically insulating and optically transparent boron nitride nanotubes (BNNTs) are unfavorable for conventional electronics and energy applications. Recent advancement in controlled synthesis of BNNTs 1-3 has enabled the demonstration of unique applications in advanced electronics and bio-imaging. For example, we demonstrated the use of BNNTs as the one-dimensional templates for room-temperature single-electron transistors (SETs)4, and two-dimensional gold quantum dots with tunable optical bandgap5. We also reported field-effect transistors (FETs) by van der Waals Tellurium (Te) atomic chains encapsulated inside BNNTs 6. Last but not least, we have demonstrated immunophenotyping of antigens by flow cytometry.7 Some of these emerging applications 8 will be discussed in the meeting.
1. Lee, C. H., Xie, M., Kayastha, V., Wang, J., Yap, Y. K. (2010) Patterned growth of boron nitride nanotubes by catalytic chemical vapor deposition, Chem. Mater. 22, 1782-1787.
2. (Review) Wang, J., Lee, C. H., Yap, Y. K. (2010) Recent advancements in boron nitride nanotubes, Nanoscale 2, 2028-2034.
3. (Review) Lee, C. H., Bhandari, S., Tiwari, B., Yapici, N., Zhang, D., Yap, Y. K. (2016) Boron nitride nanotubes: recent advances in their synthesis, functionalization, and applications, Molecules 21, 922.
4. Lee, C. H., Qin, S., Savaikar, M. A., Wang, J., Hao, B., Zhang, D., Banyai, D., Jaszczak, J. A., Clark, K. W., Idrobo, J-C., Li, A-P., Yap, Y. K. (2013) Room-temperature tunneling behavior of boron nitride nanotubes functionalized with gold quantum dots, Adv. Mater. 25, 4544-4548.
5. Bhandari, S., Hao, B., Waters, K., Lee, C. H., Idrobo, J-C., Zhang, D., Pandey, R., Yap, Y. K. (2019) Two-dimensional gold quantum dots with tunable bandgaps, ACS Nano 13, 4347-4353.
6. Qin, J-K., Liao, P-Y., Si, M., Gao, S., Qiu, G., Jian, J., Wang, Q., Zhang, S-Q, Huang, S., Charnas, A., Wang, Y., Kim, M. J., Wu, W., Xu, X., Wang, H-Y., Yang, L., Yap, Y. K., Ye, P. D. (2020) Raman response and transport properties of tellurium atomic chains encapsulated in nanotubes, Nature Electronics 3, 141-147.
7. Yap, Y. K., Zhang, D., Yapici, N. (2017) High-brightness Fluorophores, US Patent Application US20180296705A1.
8. (Review) Zhang, D., Zhang, S-Q., Yapici, N., Oakley, R., Sharma, S., Parashar, V., Yap, Y. K. (2021) Emerging applications of boron nitride nanotubes in energy harvesting, electronics, and biomedicine, ACS Omega 6, 20722-20728.